The Daily Marmoset

Your Favorite Destination on the "Next Blog" Superhighway.

Monday, June 18, 2007

not-so-Great Expectations

This has to be the single dumbest idea for a theme park ever: Dickens World.

ABOVE: Come see Dickens World, because
nothing says "fun" like a Victorian sewer.

That's right, someone in Chatham, Kent has set up a theme park dedicated to the works of Chatham's favorite son, Charles Dickens. Kids can have hours of fun "playing" in Fagin's Den, or going through Scrooge's Haunted House, or getting yelled at in a 19th Century schoolhouse. (I can only hope that "Another Brick in the Wall" is playing in the background during the latter, but that's me.)

Of course, maybe it's not so bad. I am a Missourian, after all, and Missourians have absolutely no right to judge others on how they preserve the memory of their local literary genius. But then again, just look at that thing:

ABOVE: I'm sure old Charlie would be proud...

At any rate, I think I'll hold out until somebody in England goes to George Orwell's hometown and sets up his theme park. I'm thinking "Big Brotherland" would be a good name, but I'd also accept "Oceanias of Fun". Now that could be a good time: marching in step, burning evidence of your own existence, sticking your face into rat cages, and so on. Sign me up. And there would be plenty of chances to get your picture taken too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home