The Daily Marmoset

Your Favorite Destination on the "Next Blog" Superhighway.

Monday, April 23, 2007

This is Sparta

A few weeks ago, the Marmoset and I went to see 300, a delightful little film about epic bloodshed, mayhem and destruction. Id been meaning to write about it, but I'd forgotten until I found this comic, which made me laugh extremely hard.

Anyway, I could talk about the movie as both an awesome action movie and an oddly beautiful work of art, sort of like ballet but with more severed limbs. Or I could mention how Frank Miller, despite his few bursts of sheer brilliance, is a sick man who has taken bad ideas and worse dialogue to a whole new level. I could even mention my lingering fear that Miller is about to take a dump on the great Will Eisner's grave.

But others on the web have already discussed those points at such great length that I don't think I have much to add. So, instead of getting into any of those topics, I'll just leave you with a few treasures of Youtube, which explain it far better than I ever could:

First, there's this version of the trailer which might interest those people, such as mein Frau, who don't want to watch such a gruesome movie but might like to see something a little more, um, cheerful:



Secondly, there is this video, which has the perfectly succinct title of It's Raining 300 Men:



I have to admit that throughout the movie, Xerxes came across as much more gay than anything else. It makes you wonder what his wife, nice Jewish girl that she was, thought about all this...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home