The Daily Marmoset

Your Favorite Destination on the "Next Blog" Superhighway.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The future, it's gonna be alright.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I know, I know, I'm wandering off topic, but that's what I do best. Ask anyone who's ever met me and they'll probably tell you so.

The Marmoset is fond of saying that "we're living in the future". The future may be a disappointment in some ways, since there are no flying cars or jetpacks. But we do have other tehcnological marvels that put those to shame. Bio-luminescent rodents spring to mind as an obvious example.

Anyway, today I saw an article that really drove this home for me:


The article talks about using a "nerve stimulator" to deliver a sort of non-stop electroshock therapy, regulating the brain's functions in order to combat depression, epilepsy, and other neurological disorders.

Gee, what could go wrong with that?

This caught my attention because I thought I'd read about it somewhere a long time ago. Then I realized that I had read this before. It's not every day that you see a science fiction writer nail the future so head-on. Especially when the writer is a fourth-rate underhanded little weasel like Michael Crichton. But I have to give him points for this. Congratulations, Mr. Crichton, we are now living in a Terminal Man world.

In closing, I could not find the proper clip to go with the title of this post, so here I present the next best thing:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home