The Daily Marmoset

Your Favorite Destination on the "Next Blog" Superhighway.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Rockin with the Lord

There are always strange and wonderful things to be seen in libraries, but few are stranger than this. This is the actual cover art (with actual title) of an actual book I just found lying on a table near my office. I just had to run it through the scanner and share it with the rest of the world:


Not to doubt that he does, but I would expect a singing Jesus to have better cover art. This looks like something from that immortal classic of websites, Worst Album Covers Ever. Of course, that site does include a wide variety of disturbing gospel covers, so what do I know?

On the subject of religion and strangeness, Adherents.com, an excellent site full of statistics about world religions, now includes a list of superheroes grouped by their religions. I learned that Punisher, the Huntress, Obsidian, and the Hulk (among others) are fellow Catholics. (I already knew Daredevil and Nightcrawler were Catholics, though maybe I shouldn't brag about that). Interesting that the Catholic heroes seem to be an especially melodramatic and guilt-laden bunch, even by comic book standards. But maybe that's me.

Disappointingly, the good people at Adherents forgot the greatest (and most) Catholic superheroes of them all: the Confessor and his trusty sidekick Altar Boy. Speaking of which, they also neglected my favorite Protestant superheroes, the Crossbreed. I guess they don't read Astro City. Shame on them.

In closing, have a Happy (if belated) Easter season. And what better way to celebrate the end of Lent than with the Ground Meat Cookbook. This 1955 classic bills itself as "204 intriguing ground meat recipes". When we're talking about Spicy Gelatin Garnish, Liver Dumplings, Pineapple Upside-Down Ham Loaf, and an entire chapter entitled "Burgers and Balls", ingriguing is an understatement.

Suddenly, I don't feel so good....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home