The Daily Marmoset

Your Favorite Destination on the "Next Blog" Superhighway.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Dubya Khan

According to the Guardian's Technology blog, the list of 20 Greatest Geek Novels has been released. I confess, with a strange mixture of pride and shame, that I've read 13 of the 20 novels. Does that make me 65% geek? Or is that 40%, since I only liked 8 of them? I'm guessing that the higher number is more accurate, or else I wouldn't be wondering about this at all.

The author of the post says he is "amazed Neal Stephenson didn't do better". Granted, Neal Stephenson is a prince among geeks, and he has written some incredible books. But he has three books on the list -- Snow Crash (#11), Cryptonomicon (#13), and The Diamond Age (#18). That's more than anyone else (Isaac Asimov and Philip K. Dick being tied for second with 2 books each). How much better was he supposed to do?

Finally, to leave you with a special closing thought for this Thanksgiving week, here's a photo of President Bush cheering democracy in Mongolia.

Go on, tell me that picture isn't funny. I dare you.

But seriously folks, Bush and the Mongols actually have a great deal in common: they're just simple country folk with a special talent for trashing Baghdad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home