The Daily Marmoset

Your Favorite Destination on the "Next Blog" Superhighway.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Road trip

The Frau and I recently took our first road trip since getting married. We went to lovely Springfield, MO for the Ozark Genealogical Society's annual convention. Not that we were there for doing genealogy; Frau was sent there by her employer, a historical society.

So what did I think of Springfield? In the words of the poets:

Springfield Springfield, It's a hell of a town
The schoolyard's up and the shopping mall's down.
The stray dogs go to the animal pound!

Apparently, Bart and Milhouse were too busy going crazy Broadway-style to mention the endless fields of strip malls, monstrously large outdoor-supply shops, and horrendous traffic. I also attended their annual Cider Festival, which was not that festive and had very little cider.

But there were two things there I did truly love, though. The first was the Thai House restaurant, just down the street from the Bass Pro Shop. I highly recommend the Jerry Chicken, which has a strangely un-Thai sounding name, but it is very good. It involves a big-ass ladleful of peanut sauce, and if that doesn't convince you I don't know what will.

The second cool thing was finding out that Springfield's tallest (read: only) skyscaper is home to the famous Teen Titans. How cool is that: DC Comics' most famous minor league team have their headquarters next door to the Cardinals' minor league team? Of course, the sign in front says it's the "John Q. Hammons Building", and I've been told that Springfield's less comics-educated residents know it as the "Darth Vader Building", but these are obiously a clever ruse to keep villains away. Don't believe me? See for yourself:


I rest my case. Cartoon Network doesn't lie, people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home