The Daily Marmoset

Your Favorite Destination on the "Next Blog" Superhighway.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I killed 4,000 lbs of buffalo before lunch. What did you do?

Last week I found something spectacular, and now that the Marmoset is done with his exams I can post it with a clean conscience. I'd never have forgiven myself if he'd flunked out of grad school due to VirtualApple.org, an emulator that lets you play ancient Apple II games online (Internet Explorer only).

It takes you back to a simpler, more innocent time; when "color graphics" meant white, purple, AND green. A time of neverending load times and music that sounds like a cheap Casio being assaulted by a mentally disabled chimp. A time when I was young and stupid enough to think that Halls of Montezuma was a good game.

And of course, Yes Virginia, they have Oregon Trail (though for some reason it doesn't show on their list of games).



Oregon trail aficionados: please note the date on this one.


Don't you just hate it when that happens?


Good God, I'm funny.

It's been twe
nty long years since the last time I did that, and damn it feels good.

They also have, fresh from our childhood, Jeopardy (with only two games worth of questions), Paperboy (even slower and more annoying than I remembered), the original Pirates! by the great Sid Meier, and -- to the Marmoset's delight I'm sure -- the original Defender of the Crown.

Naturally, many of the games don't work, and most of them suck rather badly. At least one game, Gold Rush, is infected with the bane of pre-CD gaming: a copy-protection pop quiz. But hey, that's the "good old days" for you. They were probably crap even when they were new, and it's not like cutting-edge modern technology can prevent a game from being terrible.

If only they had a copy of "Discover the World"; not so much because I want to play it, but because I'm starting to wonder if Marmoset and I only imagined it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home