The Daily Marmoset

Your Favorite Destination on the "Next Blog" Superhighway.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Bottom of the 9th, bases are loaded... and so am I

Two quick items I wanted to call to everyone's attention:

1. I have a new favorite word: Bibliophibian.

2. The Baseball Hall of Fame is holding an online poll to help them choose nominees for the Ford C. Frick Award, a lifetime achievement award for sportscasters. There are a lot of deserving names on the ballot - Tim McCarver, Joe Morgan, and Dizzy Dean being a few that jump out at me. There are even a few great ones, like Pee Wee Reese and Al "the Mad Hungarian" Hrabosky, who deserve to win for their nicknames alone. But one name stands out far above the others-- the great Mike Shannon, the most quotable man in baseball since Yogi Berra.

VOTE HERE

ABOVE: Gotta love him.

EDITOR'S NOTE: the title for this post is my personal favorite Shannon quote. Runners-up included:
  • faster than a cat in Chinatown
  • It’s raining like a Chinese fire drill!
  • I wish you folks back in St. Louis could see this moon.
EDITOR'S NOTE #2: I forgot to credit Frau Skippy as the source of the above photo. She found it a couple of years ago and sent me a copy. Mea culpa.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home