The Daily Marmoset

Your Favorite Destination on the "Next Blog" Superhighway.

Friday, June 09, 2006

I'm the Juggernaut, bitch

So the Frau and I went to see "X-Men: The Last Stand" the other day. Overall it was pretty entertaining, though I can see why a lot of people hated it. Anyway, here's what I thought:

THE GOOD:
  • The action scenes, as a whole, were very impressive.
  • I sat through two and a half X-Men movies just hoping to see Beast go medieval on a large crowd of bad guys. It was so worth the wait.
  • Bullet-Tooth Tony as the Juggernaut, however briefly and badly written he was, still kicked ass.
THE BAD:
  • Too many mutants, way too little time.
  • They promised this would be the finale to the series, which (judging by the last 3 seconds of the film) was obviously a lie.
  • Speaking of which, shouldn't Magneto, like, go to jail or something?
  • If there is a sequel, I count five major characters who, one way or another, are permanently out of the story. At least four of them deserved better.
  • (Of course, that strange condition known as "comic book death" is only marginally more permanent and/or inconvenient than the average hangover, so who knows.)
  • I spend most of the second half pondering one question: is Arclight a dude now? According to the Internet, the answer is no, but I still have my doubts.
  • Telling the famous "Dark Phoenix Saga" dominated the X-Men books for several years; squishing it into a subplot of a movie (especially a relatively short one) did not serve it well.
Overall, though, I would say the good outweighed the bad. It was an entertaining end to the series (maybe) and a very enjoyable way to spend an evening, whether it ends the series or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home